Transporting Hobbyweld Cylinders
• Ensure that cylinder valves are properly closed
• Eliminate ignition sources
• Keep oil, grease and other hydrocarbons away from cylinders
• Disconnect regulators, hoses and equipment
• Ensure gas cylinders are adequately secured
• Do not leave cylinders in the vehicle for prolonged periods of time
• Go straight to your destination and unload
• Avoid carrying passengers
• Ensure the vehicle is tidy
Acetylene cylinders must be transported upright to avoid the risk of a gas escape - which may settle in quantities that could cause an explosive mixture in the vehicle.
It is always recommended to carry a safety data sheet when transporting gas cylinders.
It is advised to use an open vehicle for transporting gas, if the vehicle is not open, the vehicle should have a gas tight bulkhead separating the load from the driver. If transporting in a car, it is advised that you ventilate the vehicle - keep windows open.
ADR Carriage Regulations are put in place to protect everyone; however, these requirements do not apply if;
• When private individuals carry dangerous goods, which are packaged for retail sale and are intended for personal use
• When the quantity of dangerous goods being carried is below the threshold quantity described below
To calculate if the load you are carrying is below the threshold quantity;
Individually multiply the number of cylinders you wish to carry by the cylinder points then multiply them by their factor.
Hobbyweld Transport Points.
|Hobbyweld 5 Original||9 litre||9||1||3|
|Hobbyweld 5 Ultra||20 litre||20||1||3|
|Hobbyweld 15 Original||9 litre||9||1||3|
|Hobbyweld 15 Ultra||20 litre||20||1||3|
|Argon Original||9 litre||9||1||3|
|Argon Ultra||20 litre||20||1||3|
|Oxygen Original||9 litre||9||1||3|
|Oxygen Ultra||20 litre||20||1||3|
|Nitrogen Original||9 litre||9||1||3|
|Helium Original||9 litre||9||1||3|
|Carbon Dioxide Original||9 litre||9||1||3|
|Acetylene Original||5 litre||5||3||2|
You wish to carry 3 Acetylene and 4 Argon
Acetylene - 3 (cylinders) x 5 (points) x 3 (factor) = 45
Argon - 4 (cylinders) x 9 (points) x 1 (factor) = 36
Total points = 81
If the total number of points does not exceed 1000, the load is below the threshold; however, it is recommended that you follow basic transport advice.
Emergency procedures - Leaking cylinder
If you have a leaking cylinder and you are unable to safely stop the leak, allow the gas to vent from the vehicle and remain at a distance. Try to keep members of the public away from the vehicle. If it is possible, try to move your vehicle to an open area to allow venting. If you are carrying Acetylene or Oxygen - remove any potential ignition sources - do not enter the vehicle or turn on the ignition.
If required - contact the emergency services and inform them of the type of gas and how many cylinders are involved.
Disclaimer of Liability: Whilst proper care has been taken in the preparation of this document, no liability for injury or damage resulting from its use can be accepted. Safety is your responsibility.